Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Je ne sais quoi

A few months ago, a colleague selected me to be next player in her own personal matchmaking game. She directed an old pal of hers to our employer's website so he could check out my picture. Little did she know, however, my prominently placed picture was replaced with something else. Her initial quest dissolved into thin air.

Never one to give up without a fight, she resurrected her trivial pursuit several weeks ago. After exchanging a handful of emails, texts, and phone calls, we had our first date just over a week ago. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), I'd give the date a 7. But it was clear that no second date was (or ever would be) in the works. I definitely felt that way and I'm sure he did too.

I'll see the (now former) colleague for the first time since her failed matchmaking attempt later this week. I won't bring him up, but I'm sure she will. I predict that at some point she'll want clarification on what 'type' of guy I'm looking for.

Problem is - I don't have a type.

Well, he must be African-American and height/weight proportionate, but that's it.

This may very well explain why I'm 33 and still unbelievably single, but my type embodies that je ne sais quoi. That French phrase literally means 'I don't know what'. But it's also widely known as referring to a certain something that makes someone appealing.

My type has it. He has that something something that is distinctive and attractive in a subtle way. A way that can not be seen, only felt - like electricity, wind, and well, love.

Surely she won't understand; but I do and so will he.

No comments: