Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Day My Bra Died

(Originally posted to my MySpace page on March 4, 2007.)

R.I.P.

On Thursday, March 1, 2007 at approximately 9:12am, my beloved black Maidenform bra with the lace straps passed away. I was, and still am, deeply saddened by its death. I probably would've cried, but I was standing in front of a group of 3rd graders at the time and it's just not right to see your teacher cry. My bra had actually been sick for several days prior; I knew it would soon cross over, but I was hoping that it would at least last until the weekend. Just that morning, I looked at the strap that was clinging on by one last thread and sent up a silent prayer for it.

Those that know me well know that I have an excess of clothes. I own 29 pairs of jeans but only wear 4. Same with shoes, I have enough to fill an extremely large IKEA bin plus some, but only wear 2 pairs...yes 2! Bras - same thing. I have a drawer full - every brand, color, style. Yet, with jeans, shoes, and other things - each morning for the past year +, I've grabbed that same black Maidenform with the lace straps.

Please don't be disgusted, I washed the bra fairly often! :)

I don't know why I wore the same bra each day (no matter what color my panties were). Maybe it's because I was just lazy and didn't feel like rifling through the bra drawer for another one. But if I'm really getting down to the 'Heart of the Matter', I would say the bra brought me comfort in more forms than just holding up my rack. That bra was the one thing that remained constant in my life. It was the one thing I could count on every single day. I knew that each morning it would be laying on the floor beside my bed waiting for me. It's been through a handful of loser men. It's been through a job change and an acquisition of a now 4 year old.

The saying "Don't put your eggs in one basket" comes to mind in this situation. Except it would be "Don't put your boobs in one bra." Beginning tomorrow, I'm going to find the courage to open that bra drawer and try something new! Heck, next weekend I may even wear a pair of jeans that've been folded up for months and pair them with those cute blue Steve Maddens I bought a while ago!

Or maybe I should just pack up some boxes for the Salvation Army, grab one of my gals, and head out in search of a replacement for the black Maidenform!

No comments: